Thursday, August 13, 2009

Premiership news



Ashley Young of England stands for the national anthem prior to the International Friendly between Netherlands and England at the Amsterdam Arena on August 12, 2009 courtesy getty images.




Martin O'Neill believes Ashley Young will prove himself for England, despite a below-par performance against Holland last night.





The Villa boss knows he must pick Young's chin off the floor following a hollow 68-minute display at the Amsterdam Arena and rebuild his confidence for the season's opener against Wigan Athletic. "Some of the game passed Ashley by a little bit but he is a brilliant footballer and I don't think this will overly concern him."I still think he did fine in the game and he is absolutely capable of playing in the England setup and that should be his ambition this season, to drive on and be in that team when England set out to South Africa. "I think he is very capable of doing that and I am quite sure he will."The manager also paid tribute to debut star James Milner and evergreen striker Emile Heskey - who fared better in the 2-2 draw with the Dutch."I thought James did very well and made the goal brilliantly, so I am very pleased for him, while Emile caused a few problems before he came off," O'Neill said on Sky Sports News.











Portsmouth have confirmed the capture of versatile defender Anthony Vanden Borre on a season-long loan deal from Serie A side Genoa.The 21-year-old, who can operate at right-back or right-midfield, has joined the Blues subject to international clearance.











Tottenham midfielder David Bentley has apologised to fans after he was charged with drink driving.Bentley is alleged to have smashed his black Porsche 911 into a lamppost along a Hertforshire country lane at 3am and was found standing near the wreckage of the car before being taken into custody. The former England winger released a statement on Spurs' website. It read: "I should like to apologise to my Club and the supporters for my actions which led to my car accident last night and my subsequent charge. "It was wholly unacceptable and I fully appreciate that as a professional footballer I have a duty to behave in a reputable and responsible manner. I am thankful that nobody was injured in the accident. This has been a wake-up call for me both personally and professionally."

No comments:

Post a Comment